Vegetable Tofu Soup with Mekabu
3 Shiitake Dried Mushroom
1 1/2 cup Mekabu Dried Seaweed
10 ounces soft tofu
4 teaspoons Hon Dashi Bonito‐Style Soup Base Granules
3 tablespoons Sake
1/8 teaspoons black pepper
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
1 medium new potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 green onion & top, thinly sliced on diagonal
1. Soak shiitake as package directs. Drain.
2. Remove and discard shiitake stems. Thinly slice shiitake.
3. Re‐hydrate mekabu. Drain well.
4. Drain tofu on paper towel for 20 minutes. Crumble tofu.
5. Combine 6 cups water, dashi granules, sake and pepper in medium saucepan.
6. Bring to a boil. Add shiitake, carrots, potato and green onion. Return to a boil.
7. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
8. Mix in mekabu and tofu. Cook 1 minute longer, or until all is hot. Ladle into bowls to serve.
9. Makes 6 servings, about 1‐1/2 cups each